AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Resistant weeds in today's news
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 7/18/2011 16:21 (#1868410 - in reply to #1868245)
Subject: was there in the bootheel and saw what they look like

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Earlier in the month, a group of us from Iowa Soybean Association went down to west TN and the bootheel.

Though I had always felt RR would break down due to natural plant selection, seeing the types of stuff (palmer) and hearing the stories from the farmers really had an impact on me.

Since that time I have been watching ever closely at my weed issues and am planning how I will work to improve my strategy in no-till for 2012 and beyond.

I am confident we will see much more reliance on pre-emerge type products used post with glyphosate to reduce selecting for weeds that germinate late and produce seed under the canopy.

We may see more reliance on higher water rates and "burning" products used early to smoke small weeds. There may even be multiple applications of "burners".

It is likely a good time to plan spray equipment strategy as the potential for increased, timely applications will change the game.

Seeing the rogator tracks through a neighbor's field and still green weeds has me thinking how to combat potential issues with resistance moving from neighboring fields as well.

The "free lunch" of one herbicide program is just about over.

Having said all that, if anyone wants a nice low acre 12-30 CIH 1820 cultivator, I have one for sale :) It doesn't fit the no-till plan on our farm.

my 2cents
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)