AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Have you been phone slammed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/18/2011 10:32 (#1868073 - in reply to #1868031)
Subject: The big phone slam for years and other thieves

The big phone slam for years is to change your long distance or local carrier to some sleezeball outfit with outrageously high prices without your permission. You can sometimes add a flag to your account to require double checking before such changes can take effect. That happened to my dad once when he was about 87 years old though he was adamant he didn't agree to it. What shows the company as sleezeball is when he refused to pay, they didn't hound him long. Probably my letter to them saying he wasn't going to pay with a carbon copy to the state attorney general had an effect.

For years my phone number was one digit away from a freight forwarder and drivers would misdial calling collect for delivery information. I would never accept such a call, but got billed for any anyway. They haven't yet collected.

It is vital to read and understand your phone bill EACH month. Because even the biggest (maybe more often the biggest) companies will forget that you aren't renting a phone or modem from them and keep charging for a decade if you don't make them stop. With a business or school having multiple lines it gets worse. I studied my weather client's bill and found several items that weren't in service, like private wires, modems, and printers. I did that for a school and when I started asking questions about what's this to the phone company, the annual savings paid well for my $1.20 a minute consulting fee. So read the bill and if you don't understand a charge CALL the phone company business office and ASK, "What is this? Why am I paying it?" Otherwise they will ALL take your money without providing all the services charged for.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)