AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Children of the Harvest Special on NBC
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Suey
Posted 7/17/2011 20:37 (#1867258 - in reply to #1867193)
Subject: RE: Children of the Harvest Special on NBC

WCIL
I think the main problem is that the children are not in school. Secondary problem is the safety concern. Letting a 10 year old drive a tractor or ATV could be a real problem. If it is your tractor, your crop, and your child they can be allowed to do just about anything. But, there are rules about how old a child should be before being hired to do some jobs on the farm. They were going after the "farmer" for having the children working. I can see the parents using the child to up their compensation for each day. Even if the child picks very little those few pounds could add up. In the old days we use to walk soybeans as a family. My two younger brothers were pretty worthless. But, if they were in the field they were being watched and learning work ethic.

I wouldn't have any problem with the children working afterschool for a couple of hours or weekends. But, they need to be in school, In fact wouldn't that be truancy? During the summer there should be Maximum hours for children under a certain age.

I heard them talking about the death rate of children that work on farms compared to "other children" in other jobs. First off no other job will hire a child under 15. I think corn detassling is the first job a kid can be legally hired to do. Otherwise, usually have to wait till the kid can drive themselves out here in the country. Unfortunately, farm work is dangerous.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)