AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missouri River bridges
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mj_sker
Posted 7/18/2011 12:12 (#1868158 - in reply to #1867039)
Subject: Re: Missouri River bridges

The Far East...of Nebraska.
bwire, I would say because in the people's views that are being flooded, this isn't a normal "river flood." When it's just nature flooding people don't complain or seem pessimistic about people needing help. It's when you add in variables such as human managment, dams, etc. that people feel wronged. So if it were before channelization, I would think people would take the flood much differently than they do now. Whether they are right or wrong I do not know. I know many farmers along the river that figure they were going to be flooded anyway, so there's now sense complaining. They get flooded quite often and it's a part of life. Do they get 10-15 feet of water and a channel cutting through their fields during a normal flood? No, it washes up, and eventually goes back down. Channels might cut through for a bit, but not for over a month at a time. So this type of flooding is a bit different. People live in tornado alley, and ask for people's help when problems happen. People live in hurricane zones and ask for people's help. It is what it is. There are houses being affected, but for the most part it's farmland being flooded. So you won't hear too much about it on the news. If your family put in roots somewhere chances are you stay (if you're something tied to the land like a farmer). Some of the towns being flooded are quite far from the actual river. I don't blame them for feeling safe. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by mj_sker 7/18/2011 12:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)