AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replanting double crop beans. Deer & wet damage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotncrzy
Posted 7/16/2011 16:41 (#1865957 - in reply to #1865657)
Subject: RE: Replanting double crop beans. Deer & wet damage

PROSPECT, TENNESSEE
If you have 100,000 healthy plants; looking at the calendar I think I would leave them as long as they are in 20" rows or less. I planted 140,000 80% germ beans in 19" rows behind wheat, got 90 to 100,000 plants. That is what we shoot for, seems the water will be scarce every September and thicker ones require more water. On years when we get timely rains we still cut 40 to 50 bushel beans. As far as deer damage, we have drilled, double planted, pushed populations way over 200,000. the deer don't have to walk as much is the only difference. I have a 50 acre field where deer pressure has always been high, we expect to loose 60' or more all the way around. I sprayed that field this past week, and had to look to see the beans, I have had the same thoughts as you. I hope once they begin to fix nitrogen they will begin to outgrow the mouths of the deer. Some have said A little nitrogen, with am. sulfate as the main source will help. The nitrogen will help boost the plant and they claim the deer will shy away from sulfur for a couple of days to let the beans recover. I pulled into this field the other day and counted 50 before I got disgusted and quit counting. On the good side they also eat rag weed and other noxious weeds too. Some guys around here have obtained a permit from the wildlife office to shoot the deer, I have thought of this but we all have to eat, I just wish they would dine somewhere else sometime. BUT!!! news rules will apply to the hunting club this fall! We are allowed three does per day here.... So I figure if everyone has to shoot three does BEFORE they shoot a buck and repeat before they shoot another this has got to help... Good luck!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)