AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Washington DC Trip
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

flyinfarmer
Posted 7/3/2011 22:40 (#1847408)
Subject: Washington DC Trip

NE Iowa
Our family just got home from trip to Washington DC. If you haven't been there and have any interest at all in what it took for us all to enjoy the rights that we have (including participating in this forum), it is really a valuable trip. In about 4 days around the city, we were able to see many of the popular sites plus a few special sites. For being the week ahead of the 4th, it was surprisingly 'quiet' around town - it was rare that we had to wait in line for anything. 2 Honor Flights (for WWI vets) were in town and around the Vietnam Wall and Lincoln Memorial when we were there - that really puts things into perspective.

We took the Indiana/Ohio/Pennsylvania turnpikes on the way out - big mistake - pay to drive, pay too much for gas/food, and lots of construction. Brought I70 back across - much easier trip.

Even stopped in to check out the home of American Pickers in Le Claire, Iowa. That show certainly has made life 'interesting' for the folks living around their little shop. Clerk in the shop said the 'boys' were in Nashville working on their new store - I am guessing they aren't going to be in Le Claire for very much longer....

As I said above, I really recommend a trip to DC. We have 3 daughters (15, 13, and 11) - I think the trip was extremely valuable in convincing them that some of the things they have been taught wasn't just something that some teacher or textbook writer made up. And it was good for my wife and I, as well. 2 biggest things I took away are: 1. I don't see how our legislators can keep any type of perspective on life in the rest of the country with that city as their backdrop; and 2. I don't have nearly enough respect and honor for those folks that gave everything to help form and sustain this country.

If you are a veteran reading this - THANK YOU!

Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)