AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yellowed corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 7/2/2011 06:44 (#1844845 - in reply to #1840698)
Subject: RE: Yellowed corn

timis - 6/29/2011 08:57 Seeing alot of yellowed corn in NW iowa - including my field. Heres my scenerio and ?. Late fall applied liquid manure - should have had 250# of N applied (the week b4 it froze up) + 40 on soy credit so 290 total - I know overkill but thats what I could have so I took it. I also put on 5 gal of a starter cause I've struggled with p availability early in the year. We've had a wet spring, couple 2-3 in rains and have pockets where the corn is yellowed and 1 leaf stage behind. The rest is waist high -so really getting to late to do much- also just drying out in the last couple days. This field needs some tile - dont think any water ponded - at least not for very long. Is this wet feet? Will it come out of it? - the last 2 days of sunlight made the areas shrink up - so I hope it'll snap out of it. How much yield loss have I had already? I know a soil test is the right thing to do - but can a product like coron really help you if your soil is way short? I do know my manured field looks worse than guys with all comercial fertilizer even if I used 2x as much N - could possibly be compaction not letting water get away as fast too cause I do see some spots running parallel to the rows. Kinda makes me sick cause this is usually a 225 field - right now it looks more like at best the 185 it pulled last year. (excess rain late - 12 in - lost N- but this 80 of the 160 is usually 15 - 20 bu better)

Manure isn't perfectly balanced nutrition for crops.  Heavy manuring often induces Zn def, or Mg def, for instance.

Also, roots simply do not grow well in over-saturated soils.  They need oxygen.  So you may not be comparing apples to apples on manure vs standard fertilizers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)