AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The cemetery's tax exempt status has been revoked
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 6/14/2011 15:25 (#1818476 - in reply to #1818057)
Subject: RE: The cemetery's tax exempt status has been revoked

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

John Smith - 6/14/2011 08:06 So what would get taxed on a cemetary?

Nobody has answered your question, so I will answer what I know.  I used to be a Township Supervisor, oversaw the group and appointed the Cemetery Trustees that oversaw our township cemeteries.

The tax exemption for this entity mainly is for property tax.  Funny thing there, if nobdy paid the tax it becomes the property of the County, which would be fine for most financial struggling townships.  Only other tax exemption use would be sales tax on anything purchased to maintain the cemetery, which in our area is usually contracted out and would not apply.

If this happened to be a Church Cemetery, the property tax would be paid by the Church if there was no exemption. 

There are other types of Cemetery districts in Illinois, some have ceased maintaining altogether,   Fortunatly, in our area, the township usually takes them over, as most everyone wants to respect those who have gone before us.

During my tenure as Supervisor, we increased our tax levy by vote in a general election.  There was no opposition that I was aware of, as almost everyone knew our expenses were encreasing to the point we might not be able to have cemeterys that looked nice.  Most everyone in my area feels as I do, keep taxes as low as possible, but don't let graveyards grow up in brush.  I am lucky to have lived among such wise and kind people during most of my life.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)