AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cracked poly tank help, please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

oldbones
Posted 6/12/2011 19:34 (#1815819)
Subject: Cracked poly tank help, please.

Floyd County, Iowa
I have a 1200 gal fiberglass water tank that I've been using for years for filling the sprayer. I put only water in it, and use a chem-ducter beyond the pump for everything added. It's leaking around the old galvanized fittings, and they're are rusted solid to the fiberglass. As near as I can tell, if I put any bigger cheater pipe on the pipewrench, it's going to remove the hole with a piece of the tank before the old fitting comes out. I used to keep it full during spraying season, but with it dripping it makes a mess in the shed.

I have an old yellow 800 gal elipticle poly tank on skids that I could use, but B.I.L. tried to move it by ramming it with loader on the end, and cracked it. Crack is about 16" long, right where the end meets the top, about 3/4 of the way up. I've done a search on NAT and found a lot of threads concerning repairs/welding.
I'd like to TRY to "braze/solder" it, but my question is what kind of material is it. Polyethylene, polypropylene, HDPE, or what? I think I need to get the right type of filler, but I don't know what type of plastic I'm rasslin' with here. Or will plastic from a 5 gal pail work for any of them?
Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)