AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SUCCESS: post-spraying corn with SmartSteer & RTK
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

speedeye
Posted 6/11/2011 23:10 (#1814596)
Subject: SUCCESS: post-spraying corn with SmartSteer & RTK

central IL

When I traded my JD 6500 sprayer for a 4720 this spring, I had a goal to install a Raven SmartSteer on the 4720 and post-spray my corn and soybeans at a modest 10 MPH. I just finished spraying RoundUp on my 1000 acres of corn, and had the SmartSteer engaged for about 90% of those acres. The SmartSteer performed remarkably well at 9 to 10 MPH, and reported that it was +/- 2 inches 96% of the time (very believable). I set the "nudge" (A-B line shift) to 1", and typically made no more than 2 nudges per sprayer pass (to compensate for varying planter draft).

Some additional information:
* Conventional tillage, 30-inch row field corn planted with 2WD tractor steered by Raven SmarTrax and RTK GPS.
* 10 MPH would be slow for a commercial applicator, but it was the right speed for the tips I carried over from my 6500.
* SmartSteer in 4720 was connected to Raven Envizio-Pro and RTK GPS.
* The same stored A-B lines were used for planting and spraying (but shifted for spraying because of different machine width).
* After a headland turn, I engaged the SmartSteer only after I had manually turned the sprayer and gotten it within 2" of the guidance line.
* See photo below for terrain and crop size.

While I was rinsing my sprayer, I decided to try 15 MPH, just for grins. I was impressed ... ran 3 passes without mashing any corn. See link below the photo for a crude iPhone video at 15 MPH.
Spraying corn with SmartSteer

http://speedeye.smugmug.com/Farming/Precision/SmartSteer/17498814_jL6Npn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)