AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hail damage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mizzou Tiger
Posted 6/11/2011 00:45 (#1813510 - in reply to #1813372)
Subject: RE: hail damage

first off...........that turns my gut..........second, while pictures help, they don't tell all the story............I have seen worse, but there was tornado damage wrapped in with it too...........that said, its bad..........

of course all adjusters will wait and see...........but given that there is almost total leaf loss, even though some are kind of attached..........the stalk and growing point appear to be hammered.........not dead but hammered..........

complete loss, likely no, but I am not an adjuster, so take free info for what its worth............however a starting point is to take a plant and start unrolling the outer layer of the stalk and see how deep the bruising goes.........a couple of layers deep and you will need plan on preventative measures to keep it healthy and harvest early.........

that said, the growing point looks rough in the pictures...........its probably just big enough to try and find shoot and tassel..........may take some time but peel some open..........

you basically are dealing with two things..........first is loss of the factory, ie leaves and photosynthetic activity...........second is the injury to stalk and repro tissue which could lead to disease issues and possibly repro issues............

all this being said, it could surprise you, thus the reason why most adjusters will wait............best thing you can do is document, be proactive and make sure all involved know the severity and potential loss............versus well it did ok................
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)