AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electronic vs Open Outcry for commodities
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

MWASNick
Posted 6/8/2011 15:19 (#1810079 - in reply to #1810066)
Subject: Re: Electronic vs Open Outcry for commodities

Moorhead, MN
dpilot83,

I'm a broker (clear through FCStone) and although I don't clear trades through Thinkorswim I've used them a long time personally. I can help you answer any questions you have on TOS or hedging in general. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

My advice to you is to review this hedging handbook from the CME/CBOT (http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/agricultural/self-study-guide-to-hedging-with-grain-and-oilseed-futures-and-options.html) and place your first few trades through a full-service broker. One mistake would cost you many, many commissions.

One other comment is that it's easy to turn your hedging into speculating when using futures I think they are a great, great tool if used properly. I talked to one farmer who was a very advanced marketer. In 2008, he sold corn at $4.00 futures and he lifted his hedges at $7.00 futures and locked in a $3.00 hedging loss. The problem was that he didn't make the cash sale when he lifted his hedge and actually sold that corn back down at $4.00. $4.00 cash - $3.00 hedging loss = $1.00 net price (OUCH!). All the benefit he received from futures hedging were erased with ONE mistake!

Good luck with learning these tools!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)