AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dumb Question, Why do dogs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldbones
Posted 6/5/2011 17:50 (#1806450 - in reply to #1806148)
Subject: RE: Dumb Question, Why do dogs

Floyd County, Iowa
Had a friend from town come out and ask to hunt pheasants in my CRP a couple years ago. Told him go ahead. He had a new bird dog (yellow lab), so I grabbed my shotgun and tagged along. Dog disappeared near the creek for a while. After a lot of calling and searching dog came running up- covered in coon poop. I mean this dog had it from head to tail. Must have found the "mother load" to roll in. Too cold to hose the dog off, so he had to load it up in the back of his wife's clean new Trailblazer while covered in stinky stuff, where it immediately flipped on it's back and ground it into the carpet. He never got to drive it again.

As far as why, their instinct tells them it covers their scent (Animal Planet channel). Our little Yorkie used to roll in bird poop, and our Lab/Border Collie cross once rolled a "really dead" fish to smithereens - the only time she ever got a bath. Wife gagged all thru that experience ("her" dog). That was way worse than the times she (the dog) smells like a skunk, which she does every spring.
I thought the combination of Lab/BC would make a smart dog, but she can't seem to remember that black with white stripes means "stay away, you won't like this".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)