AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potassium forms and movement in the soil?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 6/4/2011 22:24 (#1805631)
Subject: Potassium forms and movement in the soil?

Hi all.

Please forgive my annoying ignorance here. I have read what I can on this, but can not seem to grasp the information well enough to retain it.

I'm pretty sure that I am not supposed to put KCL with the seed (cereals). However, at planting time, I have a mid row banding setup that I can apply dry nutrient between the twin rows that are on 5" spacing. I would like to apply KCL in a sort of spread band. That is, instead of a tight band of about 3/4", I'd like to cover most of the area between the twin rows with the product, and very lightly incorporate it into the loosened soil. It really wont be incorporated, but more of a pressed into the soil sort of thing as no net soil movement will take place.

Can I do this without injury risk to the emerging plant? Or, in more acidic soils, say 5.5 or so, how far into the profile might the KCL move per inch of rain in mild temperatures? I will put Nachurs 3-18-18 with the seed. Fall planting. How close do you think it will be between the run out of the potassium in the Nachurs product and the availability of the KCL when planted into moiste soils that will have at least an inch of rain, likely much more, between planting and Feekes 2? I cant give exact app rates other than minimum 3 gallon/ace of the Nachurs product. The KCL, though the soil is not deficient, in a band, will require some concentration concentration as I have not yet figured the rate reduction for banding.

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)