AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Airing soil question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

snowden
Posted 5/27/2011 10:55 (#1794485 - in reply to #1794450)
Subject: Re: Airing soil question

michigan
they can say what they want that it does not help but anyone that has farmed for any amount of years has seen that just scratching the surface will help dry it off enough to beable to get on it to plant it. we have had several fields that would stay wet and all it would take was to scuff it over with a field cultivator and let it sit for a half a day and hit it again later that day and within a few hours go plant it. were if we would have not done anything it would of stayed wet for several days so whatever there scientific theory behind it may be true or not does not mean you should always just sit back and do nothing as on light sandy soil it does help to open it up to help it dry faster. i am sure most everyone on here has had a field that one time in there life they have done this on in order to get it aired out so they can plant it. i guess to each his own but in a year like this going over it to air it out may make a difference of getting a crop planted or not i am not saying it wont possibly cause compaction and is not maybe the best thing to do but it does make a difference by opening it up a little to dry. i am no expert but it does work no mater what the experts may say on the right type of soil granted you cant go out on heavy clay and do this as you will make more of a mess but on certain ground and warm days it may make a difference of getting it planted or not. good luck to all the guys that are in the same boat as us hopefully this weekend will give us some good drying weather so next week we can get going. best of luck to all
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)