AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forgot how to run insight in manual mode
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/3/2011 05:11 (#1758931 - in reply to #1758073)
Subject: Re: Forgot how to run insight in manual mode

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
All the comments here are correct. I'm thinking your mistake is that you may not have switched to a new region for your Manual Speed. If you have speed shown as one of your items you will be able to see if it is being utilized or not.

One of my Coworkers had a suggestion for Ag Leader for Manual speed which they have not utilized but I think is a good idea.

His suggestion is that the system should occasionally warn you that you are using Manual Speed. We have had customers who did a test in the dooryard and then went to real field operation but forgot to get out of Manual Speed. Their spray application works out fine if they actually drive the manual speed that they set in. It would be incorrect in other cases. An occasional warning would alert them before they got much sprayed.

Raven's approach is that if real speed is detected than their Self-Test speed is cancelled.

The Ag Leader system shuts the control valve down upon initial startup which is rather annoying but tolerable if you inderstand this.

If you want to test the system in Automatic, then use a Manual speed and set in the desired rates. The system should seek this rate based on the Manual speed. This may take a bit since the control valve may be in the fully closed position.

If you just want to test for leaks, then don't bother with putting in a Manual speed and just go to Manual control. Then use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to run the control valve yourself. This may take a bit before you see action as the control valve needs to open and there may be air in the system etc.

I have a few customes who have used an unauthorized trick. They have noticed that if their butterfly control valve is plumbed inline and inline control is chosen, then control works properly but the control valve is completely closed when going to a new product etc. Thus the pressure starts out low but eventually gets to the target rate. After that eveything is fine.

Their trick is to lie and say that the control valve is plumbed in bypass (it is really inline) but cut and swap the two wires going to the control valve. This means that control under normal operation is correct. The system sends out the reverse polarity but the wires are swapped (Double negative if you will).

The advantage to this plan is that when a new product is being used, the system will then run the valve in a direction that it feels should close it down but actually opens it fully. This means that when switching to a new product, the flow rate starts high (it is limited by tip size anyway) and works its way down rather than starting low and working its way up. Thus they are able to start spraying at normal speed but possibly a bit too high of a rate. After a short distance the system works down to the proper rate. Remember that to double the output the pressure needs to increase four times. Thus starting out with a high pressure will only result in a slight over application rate.

Myself I didn't bother with this and just realize that I either needed to go to Manual and force the control valve open a ways before I began to spray or purposely drive slowly at first and increase my speed as the rate catches up.

Edited by tedbear 5/3/2011 05:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)