AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too soon for this...........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Luckyfarmer
Posted 4/15/2011 18:27 (#1726146 - in reply to #1726059)
Subject: RE: West River SD corn

Central South Dakota
We farm both sides of the river and last few years have been some of our best yields for farm average and that come in about 135 our west river corn ran from 70-90 last year but in 2006 we got a big fat zero.

If west river south dakota land is so good, there is 12,000 acres for rent or for sale @ $795/acre I believe at Dupree,SD and I heard this winter that the Diamond Ring Ranch was up for lease again. Nothing about farming that country is easy, but come take a chance as the locals aren't jumping on it at the prices being asked because we know the repercussions and yield history. You better know more than just corn and beans too if your going to survive out here, and that's not being a smart a$$, that's just fact IMHO.

We are also sitting on 6-8 inches of wet sloppy snow, some guys had just started planting 2 days ago, we haven't turned a wheel yet, ground still too wet. With all the water around and now the snow I know I won't go to the field for a week minimum and that is with no more moisture, which we have a chance of through Wednesday of next week. Worst case senario is were trying to plant corn and wheat all at the same time, plus spray, fertilize, ect. Could get interesting fast. Last year we were planting by April 8th and done with HRSW by the 15th.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)