AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you meter your roundup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 4/13/2011 22:17 (#1723168 - in reply to #1722183)
Subject: RE: How do you meter your roundup

South Georgia
I thought I had a pretty good picture of the completed manifold, installed, but I can't find it. I had this one on my phone. This is incomplete, laying on the shop floor. I decided to have four ports so that it can be attached to four different shuttles at the same time, though the pictured manifold is missing the Banjo coupler for one of the ports. (Roundup, Prowl, and Gramoxone, plus one spare port, in case you were wondering.) Direction of flow is from right to left, with the meter on the left. The strainer isn't needed I'm sure, but I had it on hand so I figured why not stick it in there to protect the $200 meter.

The manifold has 3/4 female Banjo couplers, and the three valves you see on the left in the picture have 3/4 male Banjo couplers to match the manifold. The valves will be attached to hoses going to the appropriate shuttle. The valve on the right is attached to the manifold and has a check valve below it, and is plumbed to the bottom of the nurse tank so that the manifold can be flushed with clean water after metering chemical.

The meter fits into the manifold using Banjo couplers, so that it's pretty easy to take out for storage or replacement. I don't know how reliable these things are, but I do have a spare on hand just in case.

As far as checking the calibration, I write on the shuttle with a metal marking pen what I suck out of it, and draw a line on the side (if the shuttle is translucent), so when the shuttle is empty, you can add up what you pulled out of it and check your accuracy. Obviously by that time it's too late, but if you're WAY off, it ought to be obvious by comparing the marks on the side of the shuttle. I'd like a better way of 'checking,' but until this fails me or I have a better idea, this is it. Scales would be awesome, but one step at the time... Last year I was measuring Roundup and Prowl in a graduated 5 gallon bucket. This is much, much better than that.

To mount it, I welded a light piece of channel iron between two of the hoops that hold the tank to the trailer, and hose clamped this assembly to it, then plumbed the right side to the bottom of the tank, and teed the left end of the assembly into the suction side of the pump. So far, it's worked awesome.

Any questions, ask. I'm going to do some spraying tomorrow, I'll try to remember to take a pic or two.

Adrian

Edit: Sorry, but for some reason the page keeps timing out when I try to load the picture. I'll send it to your email.

Edited by Adrian 4/13/2011 22:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)