AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mapping Field Tiles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/13/2011 06:34 (#1722045 - in reply to #1721457)
Subject: Re: Mapping Field Tiles

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
To map tile lines, I suggest creating a new planting configuration.

This may seem strange but seems to work out the best. I then define the various types of tile lines as planting products. These products would normally be seed varieties but I might name them as 6", 10", Old, etc.

This way when you drive around over the lines you can pick the product which is really these names. Each type will then have its own color which makes for a nice map. I believe we use a width of 5' for the fake planter.

I would suggest making another product called "Boundary" and then drive around the outside of the field with this product chosen. In this way you will get a picture frame of the field which may make it easier to judge the relative locations of the lines at a later date.

It is also possible to run this file through SMS where you can import an aerial map of the field with the tile lines laid out on top of it. I just saw one yesterday that was very impressive and should be helpful in the future. With a map like this the Boundary might not be as necessary but it is still easy enough to do.

Some folks like to do this on the tiling equipment but I think it is easier to just put the mapping equipment in another vehicle and drive over the lines as a separate operation. I have done this with a combine without any head. This gets some looks from the neighbors but actually works out well, since the equipment was already there and the combine is up in the air for good visibility and can climb over rough terrain well.

Edited by tedbear 4/13/2011 06:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)