AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EDIT: Engine freeze plugs/soft plugs: Engine experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

beh
Posted 4/10/2011 20:12 (#1718095)
Subject: EDIT: Engine freeze plugs/soft plugs: Engine experts

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
EDIT: The freeze plug was pushed out into the engine valley. When I was washing I discovered it on the ground. No signs of being pulled. Paint still in tact, very strait. I am assuming pushed out...

I bought a used engine that had had compression run on it. Compression tested good, approximately 12% difference between the high and the low.

I started washing on the engine today. It has a new water pump on it, about right for the engine with 2500 hrs. As I am washing I find a freeze plug.

I have a couple theories on this, anybody who has input it would be appreciated.

1. The water pump went out and engine got hot and pushed the plug out. I have never seen this before but view it as possible.

or,

2. The engine has been frozen (which pushed the plug out), they put a new water pump on and learned it had bigger issues and condemned the machine at that point.

OR???

I am going to fill it with water tonight and and see if it disappears. Then I guess we will find some way to run it (really not a huge deal but I really don't want to go to all the effort for a bad engine). I don't know if the injection equipment is good or bad, so it may take quite a bit of effort to make the engine run. Without a stand I will have to come up with some sort of a radiator/fan set up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by beh 4/10/2011 22:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)