AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hitting close to home: Fires
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kstate90
Posted 4/4/2011 08:03 (#1707477 - in reply to #1707375)
Subject: Re: Hitting close to home: Fires

North Central Kansas
We had two more last night. One was a rekindle from a Saturday burn and the other one was arson. Second fire burned about 30 bales and probably 100 acres. Wind is gusting to 38mph now. That brought our total to 12 fires for the weekend. Last night we were on the rekindle fire and had all of our trucks on it. Just as we finished we were paged for the second fire and had to pull off the first fire to head to it. Our interface engine and my 6x6 were the first one to the second fire. He had 2/3 of a tank and I had about 300 gallons on. We ran out of water before we could get it beat down. By that time the next wave of trucks arrived and were able to finish it off. Luckily we had a couple of farmers bring their semis with water and another district provided us mutual aid. 3 hours of sleep is not enough.

Our fires have been nothing like those out west. They are as bad as I care to see. A mile of fire is alot to roll up on and begin to think about putting it out. I can't imagine what 12 miles is like. I have my water tanks full of water with a pump hooked to them so it is ready to fill trucks if needed. If you guys have tanks you might get them filled and let your local fire dept know how much and where. 15-20 miles is a long drive for water. This could be a long fire season if things don't change pretty soon.

Edited by kstate90 4/4/2011 08:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)