AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Take a deep breath people
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 3/15/2011 08:28 (#1671222)
Subject: Take a deep breath people

North Central Illinois
First of all I can't imagine what those poor people are going through over there. Absolutely horrible! While the radiation situation over there is very real and will probably get worse before it gets better, I think we all need to step back and calm down instead of wildly speculating about what is going to happen and what impact it will have on our markets. We know there has been damage to some of their ports. Once the nuclear situation has been stabilized those ports are going to be a priority for the government to get back in operation. There are a whole bunch of people that need to eat and those ports will be key to that. Undoubtedly there is going to be loss of life due to radiation. We simply don't know how much. While tragic the fact remains that there will be many hungry mouths to feed with domestic food production very much in doubt for some time to come. As for radiation reaching the West Coast of the US I would expect that some low level of radiation will reach our soils. It will likely not be any worse than many of the other low level radiation sources that we encounter on a daily basis. The bottom line is that after they get infrastructure repaired so they can except and process imports I just don't see this thing killing demand for our grain. There are way too many unknowns at this point and the situation is serious, but lets keep our heads on straight and not start jumping to wild conclusions. The grain markets were in a slide before this disaster so it only makes sense that all of the uncertainty would pressure markets in the short term. I took the opportunity to price some more 2011 crop yesterday with a quiet market. Not a panic sell just risk management. Lets keep things in perspective folks. Good luck to all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)