AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potatoes in the basement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

boog
Posted 3/4/2011 20:20 (#1650552 - in reply to #1649866)
Subject: Re: Potatoes in the basement

We have an old root cellar , or "cave" as wecall it. As a kid my aunt would can vegetables & fruit & store them in the cave. Always had two years of canned goods in case we had a "bad year". After my wife & I got married we would buy several hundred pounds of potatoes from a local school that had handicapped youth. They would teach the kids gardenin & such things and then sold the produce to help finance the school. The poatoes would last all winter down there but once it started to warm up they would grow sprouts & go bad. I built a large wooden rack with 4 bins having slatted bottoms so they would have air moving all around them

Temps in the cave never get much below 35-38º. Several years ago we moved our well pump & water softner down there to get them out of the house. I do leave a 100 watt light bulb on in the winter but have never had it freeze, even when temps have gotten well below 0º outside. The walls are about 6-8" of concrete & there's at least 12"of soil over the top. Also has a concrete floor.

Edited by boog 3/4/2011 20:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)