AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is Radar essential to a 20/20 RowFlow system ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

chocgopher
Posted 2/18/2011 18:15 (#1621760)
Subject: Is Radar essential to a 20/20 RowFlow system ???

Iowa
Hi all:

We already have an existing PP 20/20 monitor. We are taking delivery of a new 24 row JD 1770 with factory-installed hydraulic drives and row clutches. We are wanting to add the PP RowFlow components to the planter in order to control the drives and clutches with the 20/20 (we do not own any GS2 screens).

I see that the RowFlow system recommends both high-quality GPS (we have RTK) and radar signals. We have had terrible luck with JD radars in the past, and consequently do not have a functioning radar unit on our JD 9120 planter tractor.

Maybe someone can enlighten me to exactly how the RowFlow utilizes radar? Is radar simply a backup replacement speed source in case of loss of GPS signal (which rarely happens in our flat river bottom ground)? Or does the RowFlow system somehow combine information from the GPS and radar signals into a more high-quality speed data than either would be capable of alone? I have been told in the past that although GPS may give more overall accurate speed than radar, it is not as accurate as radar during events of sudden velocity changes. Therefore, GPS-only control of hydraulic drives may suffer when suddenly slowing down when coming into headlands or when quickly slowing down to go through a ditch and then quickly speeding back up. Does having radar as a secondary input help in these instances?

If we have a compelling reason to buy a new radar gun we will. We were just hoping that our radar days were behind us!

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)