AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

6.5 chevy diesel....3rd round
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 1/21/2011 11:05 (#1562989)
Subject: 6.5 chevy diesel....3rd round

SW WI
Well so far this winter its the 6.5 diesel 2 wins to my 0. Bought this for a plow truck and needless to say I haven't been able to use it very much since it gives me trouble to keep it running. Another winter of freezing on the bobcat (no cab). I plan on winning this war.
First, thanks to all who have posted help. It has helped me narrow this down, but still giving problems like it is fuel starved. Will start good, idle good but after running a minute it will kill. I have replaced the fuel lift pump and it is getting power. Took it to a shop to check the error codes. Rode with mechanic while checking the codes and it killed like it usually does. He had a spare "black box" to put on but still killed after a couple minutes. This sort of baffled him. He thinks it may be a "pintle valve" ? in the injector pump that is broke/sticking. This morning he called me to say he wants to try a brand new "black box" before he takes off the injector pump. He wouldn't charge me for the new box if thats not the problem.
I had the continueing problem with this so I took it to the shop. They were busy so didn't get to look at it for a week, that was alright since it is a second truck and I could make do for awhile without it. What I thought was strange was when they started it and drove it around to see what was going on it ran fine. The mechanic called me and said it wouldn't kill on him. I went and got it and drove it for 2 days myself before it started to act like it does. This is the second time something like this has happened. Seems like if you let it set for days, it will run fine for a couple of days. I had it worked out with the mechanic that I would bring it right back when it started to give me problems again so they could see firsthand what it was doing. I am happy with their service considering how busy they are and once I brought it back they got right on it.
So I am just wondering what you all think about digging into the injector pump assumming the new black box doesn't do the job and also about it not showing error codes to point us in the right direction. Thanks again for all the help, I will post again when I get this fixed. Not if but when.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)