AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dealer experience #2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 1/20/2011 18:06 (#1561492 - in reply to #1560806)
Subject: RE: "getting along" with a dealership

Iowa
I have always viewed machinery as a necessary evil of making a living. I know many farmers LOVE machinery, and that's ok, its just not my way. After 35 years of doing minimal business with many dealerships--I say "minimal" because about all I ever buy is parts since I buy late model used privately and sell my "old" stuff the same way because I have no plans to "help" out any dealer by letting hm mark up what I trade in--anyway, after 35 years I have learned a thing or two about farm implement dealers, and what works best when dealing with them:

1) Accept that they won't do any favors for you if you aren't one of their buddies who trades all the time and has them fix everything.

2) Understand that in their sales and service meetings, the edict comes down from high that certain departments have goals they must try to hit, and for the most part ownership doesn't care how they hit them. That means you might be the guy to get screwed/lied to/taken advantage of since the person doing it to you needs their job. To lessen the chance of this happening, simply don't give them much opportunity. This means fixing nearly everything yourself, or find an independent mechanic you can trust. When you give a dealership free rein to fix something, there is at least a 50-50 chance they will take advantage of you. Sometimes it is blatant, but many times it is by something as simple as just throwing parts at a problem until SOMETHING fixes it, since it is your dollar not theirs.

3) It almost never "pays" to get loud or really upset in their presence. Smile, pay the bill, and don't go back. But do not burn your bridges as you may need them again some day. But NEVER forget, just stay away. Don't care what they think of you other than personally I want to be known as "quiet and polite but he doesn't do much business here other than parts". I am not out to be their friends or even friendly, because I have learned if they think you are their "friend" they will take advantage of you even more.

4) If you must buy something from any dealer, get every minute detail in writing. Don't fall prey to the old lines such as, "I can't write that up like that but you know I will do it", or, "this dealership has been here a long time by taking care of people and we will take care of you" NO DON'T BUY IT. Get every tiny detail of the deal in writing, and if they balk, walk out.

5) Always honor any deal you agree to. Always. If you find a better deal a few days later and back out, then you are no better than them! I want to go to sleep at night knowing I am always a man of my word. Always be honest and follow through on any deal you verbally agree to, but get the papers signed as soon as possible after a verbal deal is struck.

6) When it is common knowledge that a particular dealer isn't as honest and trustworthy as you would like, don't deal there. Roll around with pigs and you are going to get stinky.

7) Remember it is usually not in your best interest to be a "good" customer. Always be polite, pay your bill promptly, and be civil so you can keep buying the parts you need.

8) Deere company couldn't care less how an individual farmer feels as long as the dealership is meeting the goals corporate has for it, any way it can.

9) In the multi-store situations, the store manager needs his job just like anyone else, and you don't sign his paychecks. He will not normally take your side in a dispute.

10) This is just the way it is. Remember that machinery is just another tool you need. Being their "friend" so you broken machine get fixed one day ahead of someone else's comes with a very high price--there is almost always another day, and being one day later will, over the course of your career, be far cheaper to you than being that "good" customer. The price you pay to be that guy will affect your bottom line more than being a day later getting done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)