AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Powder coat truck frame?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

trailcutter
Posted 1/19/2011 13:29 (#1558743 - in reply to #1556433)
Subject: RE: Powder coat truck frame?

WC MO
I'm going to have to agree with the rest of the responses. A product from POR will be far more durable if properly applied. You are indicating that you are using new rails so I assume you are completely building a truck from the ground up. For all of that work, you will not want to see any flaking of a powdercoat job.
I had a pickup truck receiver hitch powdercoated as an experiment to see how it would hold up in the wet and salt of an under-vehicle environment. It was blasted before being coating but it is peeling. What I have found is that any sharp edge along a steel plate does not get covered and becomes a place where a crack starts in the coating. As another poster mentioned, that allows a bit of moisture into it and thats essentially the end of it. The bigger powdercoat shop here can do some large stuff and I've seen beautiful boat trailers come out of there, but those are made from tubing shapes that have rounded edges. I have done garden tractor restorations where I have had parts powdercoated and they are holding up fine, but they dont run on salty roads and for that matter, never get wet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)