AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Autopilot Cabling Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/12/2007 03:16 (#135092 - in reply to #135000)
Subject: Re: Autopilot Cabling Question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Since you are using a FMD display, we don't know what GPS you are using. If you are using a Trimble 252 or 332, they don't seem to support radar out.

Yet other models such as the EZ-Guide+ or the EZ-Guide 500 do. In the case of both the EZ-Guide+ and EZ-Guide 500 a splitter is available for this purpose. The radar output is setup via the menu system.

On a 252 or 332, it appears that using the other Port should be an option. There are third party devices (Loup and others) that attach to the other port and "manufacture" the radar.

As Mbmaring has stated yet another route is to go with a separate complete standalone GPS system just for the radar speed. This seems redundant but may actually be about as cheap and does offer some flexibility for other situations. The cables for the second port and circuitry may be about as expensive as a complete package deal for the standalone system.

I may be in a similar position myself. Currently I am using a 332 to Autopilot with an Insight. My planter monitor gets its speed from a real radar gun. Given the failure rate of the Deere guns, I wouldn't be surprised if I would need a replacement soon. Since I already have an extra data cable for Port B and the 332 is inside the cab, I will probably go that route with one of those device from the Loup folks or something similar.

Now that I think about it, I can rob the radar off of the other tractor since that tractor has an EZ-Guide 500 in it which does support radar out and I have already made a Tee cable for that purpose. Losing the gun in that tractor would be OK.

If you still have the DJ radar gun and it is working I would continue to use it.

Edited by tedbear 4/12/2007 03:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)