AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need a new puter. Translation: need help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chip
Posted 4/11/2007 16:41 (#134736 - in reply to #134610)
Subject: Re: Need a new puter. Translation: need help

Dave--

This is how I'd go. Have someone like Van build you a computer.

It sounds like you are wanting good old english-based support and this is the best way I know of to get it.

It will be a little more money, but will probably be worth it.

My FIL bought a really really good deal Dell a while ago. I helped him set up some backup procedures. As I suspected, he didn't do it. What made it worse, is that he had a problem.....but instead of calling me, he called support (I was in middle of a huge project--he thought he'd leave me alone). They directed him to completely re-do his computer.

He lost all--ALL of his 'stuff' except for the backup I made for him on my last visit.

There was nothing physically wrong with the computer. He got talked into beliving it was a virus of some kind, and talked into completely reformatting his computer. He just did what he was told--not realizing he could probably have at least saved his data. Over the past 20+ years of building my own computers and doing almost all of my own support, I've had several hard drives crash, had one virus attack where I needed to re-do my computer---and so far, I've always--always-- been able to save my data. I simply don't believe that because his computer was 'acting a bit funny' that his data was unavilabile. His data was vital to his work, and he had to re-do at least a hundred hours of reports that were stored on the computer.

Needless to say, I have since had two 'support' calls from him on how to backup his data to a cd. :)

In short--I don't think much of the out-of-country tech support. Not much at all.

If you don't have a relative or a dependable, tech-savvy neighbor willing to help--run away from Dell and right to a local, reliable computer person.

In a few years, the computer you buy won't be worth much---the data, photos, and ability to operate it will be what has value. I believe that value can best be retained with local technical support.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)