AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SMS and reference files for Integra
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

richard
Posted 11/1/2010 15:46 (#1417270 - in reply to #1416858)
Subject: More Information

I was in a bit of a rush when I posted the initial question and should have put more information in.

This is my first year with an Integra (am in Australia and just about to start harvest) and I was trying to work out how much of the analysis I do on my desktop (using Farmworks) can be carried out at least to some extent on the go while harvesting. The most useful aspect of harvest data for me is the ability to be able to use it analyse management regions to determine whether changes in management have had an effect on yield. Variety is only one of the management changes that I look at and to be honest in our situation usually one with the least effect.

Seeding rate, fertiliser type and rate, row configuration, fungicide use, fallow mangement are all things that I record in some way whether logged directly by an applicator or mapped in some other fashion. From all these layers of information I construct shape files which define regions of interest that I think may be worth following up on to see if there has been a yield effect.

As a point of interest one of the situations I will looking at closely this year is a chickpea paddock planted into heavy sorghum stubble. There was a fire through the paddock before sowing that resulted in half the paddock losing its stubble cover. I have mapped this area and am very keen to see effect on yield.

Anyway it would be really great if I could see these regions while harvesting so physical differences in crop growth can be observed. An eventual outcome may be that if there are significant differences in zones, especially in quality, you may end up harvesting differentially.

I have been trying to work out if I can turn shape files of anything (for instance the map of the burnt paddock) into a file that SMS recognises as planting data. Is it just a matter of having the right attributes or does it need a completely different file format e.g. point data.
I am exporting through the device setup and have created planting maps in the management tree (Ted I am pretty sure I have associated the data with a crop type correctly thanks to your previous post) however still can't get .ref files. One thing I was wondering was whether each polygon had to have a crop type associated with it as well as the overall data set.

Hope this explains the situation a little better.
TIA.

Edited by richard 11/1/2010 15:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)