AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HP required for planter width?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sparrell
Posted 10/28/2010 14:07 (#1411888 - in reply to #1411571)
Subject: RE: HP required for planter width?

Matt, sorry I haven't got back to your email yet, but another thing you might want to consider is the max. hyd. flow of your tractor at the remotes. I would guess that a tractor that small will lift a Kinze 3000 with the self leveling interplant hitch pretty slowly unless it is a newer tractor with increased flow. The tractor I use on mine has about 17 gpm flow and I have to plant 4 rounds (24 rows) of headland to have time to be able to get the planter up and turned around for the next pass. If I had much less flow at all, I'd have to be clutching nearly ever round to stop the tractor to give it time to lift the planter to get lined up for the next pass. Just something you might want to consider.

As far as your orginal question, it is probably more important to have enough tractor weight to control the planter than just HP to pull it. I think 75 HP will pull it fine at 4 to 5 MPH. Not sure about 6 to 7 mph all day long though. I farm some fairly steep hilly notill ground and would not want much less tractor weight than I have now when turning on steep hillsides, but you said you have flat ground so thats probably a non-issue.

Lastly, you might want to check the drawbar height of your tractor. Most smaller 75 hp tractors I've seen have small rear tires, frames, etc. that leads the drawbar to be pretty low to the ground. IMO, it is critical that one levels the interplant planter correctly, and I've found that on my 3000 with the double frame, the drawbar needs to be about 21" off the ground to run the planter level. On a 75hp tractor, you might not be able to acheive that, but then again if you are not getting a planter with a double frame, that measurement will likely be different. If you are buying new, I would strongly recommend the double frame option even if you are not putting fertilizer on it if you notill much. The extra weight of the double frame will come in very handy.

(DSCN1947 (Small).JPG)

(Planting 011 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN1947 (Small).JPG (74KB - 301 downloads)
Attachments Planting 011 (Small).jpg (79KB - 313 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)