AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Massey 4880 Again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

burky8520
Posted 10/27/2010 23:45 (#1411199 - in reply to #1410177)
Subject: RE: Massey 4880 Again

NW Ohio
There are a lot of factors with this that could determine what this is worth. I have been through this over the past few years, sorry in advance for the long posting.

Do the brakes work? If they work, does the brake pedal shake when you push it in? If so.. the rotor is warped and needs machined or replaced, while doing this check the caliper and pads. Could be a $2000 dollar dealer bill if all is bad. We had $1200 in fixing ours, we called the dealer out to help us, plus we helped during the whole process, so it would have cost more otherwise.

Does the A/C work? Could be a $2000.00 fix at a dealer, if system is plugged up and compressor is bad

Does the axle bearings leaking? This can be checked by jacking up each axel end and measuring the distance of play in these. There has been a history of this being a problem with machines going through Schmidt Machine in Upper Sandusky Ohio. A few thousand to fix if more than a couple are bad.

If the transmission has not been rebuilt, its usually only a matter of time, unless you are careful with them, (dont downshift on the road) or use the powershift only as necessary. If this needs fixed, the cab needs to come off and figure on $10-$12,000.

The motor, should be good for a long time if it has not been abused and fluids have been monitored and changed accordingly. As onion farmer says, make sure your PH of the anti-freeze is around a 2 or so. They make different anti-freeze canister elements you can put on to get your antifreeze in line. These sound like they can last with little to no big repair cost for 10,000 plus hours. That tractor on tractorhouse, does seem to have been not worked hard or turned up on fuel b/c if it was, the right side of the hood in the middle of the MF decal would be burned off or discolored, due to the turbo getting too hot. I ran my neighbors 4880 the other day and it is turned up at least to 375 or 390hp, and the outside of his hood is burned, I couldnt even touch the side of the hood. Mine are not that way. They say on those, that you can turn them up, but you need to upgrade your cooling capasity accordinly to displace the heat.

Check to see if the draw bar has been worn excessivly, this will also determine if it has been pulled hard. This one seems to be in pretty good shape.

Rubber dont look bad, just depends on what you want. It ought to last another 1500 hours or so depending on your road wear.

Hours of machine are pretty low, that is a plus if the hour meter works or hasnt been replaced.

Does the 3 point work? Ours works great, but most people dont use the 3 point on these. If it dont, it could be a minor fix, but if the electric over hydraulic controler dont work, just plumb the 3 point into one of the hyd outlets. Check the wear blocks on the lift arms on the 3 point to determine if the wear. Check to see if they have a center link for this and a quick hitch. There are some other troubleshooting items to do if it dont work, I wont get into that at this point.

Cosmetics are not the best, but this too is mind over matter. Custom paint job, depending on paint, and how much work you do to prep it could be $4000-$7000.

Cab foam kit is around $400.00

Tractors with a 3 pt and PTO hold a bit more oil due to the oil reservior being seperate for the 3pt and PTO from the tractor hydraulics. It uses the oil reservoir in the rear end of the tractor to operate this. Total oil to need changed is around 65 gallon, which includes all hyd, steering, motor and final drives.

Based on what I see, everything looks to be stock and not modified; that is good. I, personally would probably not give more than $12,000 for it b/c I would buy it to fix up. But, if you didnt care about cosmetics and all the features are in good working order and fluids have been changed accordingly. It might be worth more to you.

Just for information, about 5 years ago, a tractor just like that sold in Upper Sandusky Ohio, close to Schmidt Machine, the local Massey Dealer, with approximately 2000 hours, had original rubber and was all stock, it never left an 800 acre farm, so the tires were only like 60-70%, and it brought $31,000 at auction.

Good luck, and I hope this info helps.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)