AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How long for the trickle-down effect??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Rosco
Posted 4/4/2007 01:27 (#130677 - in reply to #130384)
Subject: Re: How long for the trickle-down effect??

Galahad, Alberta
Ronski, according to the site you gave, Canada in 05/06 harvested 23.650 million hectares x 2.471 = 58.43915 million acres. We produced 66.715 million tonne of grains and oilseeds from those acres x 2204 = 147.03986 billion pounds. I can't convert to bushels with any accuracy because of the various bushel weights for all the stuff we grow. I.E. wheat @ 60, corn @ 60, peas @ 60, canola at 50, barley @ 48, oats at 34(i think) and I have no idea for soybeans and some of our other crops on that webpage. If I had to guess, I would convert at about an average of about 57, which is about 2.58 billion bushels. So, 99MAX, it's close, but we are slightly ahead. Keep in mind I'm comparing Canada in 05/06 to Iowa in 04. Pretty impressive production for one state, I have to say. Corn is only grown in parts of Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba. Other areas produce tiny amounts, but it wouldn't add up to a boat load. Iowa outproduces all our corn areas by 50%/acre. And you're right, no one used hectares in the real world!! I just realized that all of Canada's arable acres is only about 5x the arable acres of Iowa! I feel so insignificant!
Rosco
PS, I only used the webpage and numbers you supplied, I didn't go looking for any more backup data.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)