AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Midwest guys---- what time in AM do you start combining corn? soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 10/2/2010 14:25 (#1381694 - in reply to #1381650)
Subject: RE: Midwest guys---- what time in AM do you start combining corn? soybeans?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois
jakescia - 10/2/2010 12:29

When there is a significant amount of dew------------ from frost, just humidity, etc------------- what time do you start combining?

9AM?    10AM??

Assume a moisture level in the grain of say,   22% corn,     16% soy.

As others have already said, don't use the clock, you feel the bean stubble and chew a couple of beans before starting.I recall one year out of my 35 years of experience, being able to start at 7:00, if I could get my combine serviced and any late harvested beans emptied from my trucks. Most years it was around 1:00 pm before the sun dried the beans enough under the conditions you listed, sometimes they weren't dry by 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and we could combine late into the night, until they got "tough". I have harvested all night under extremely low humidities, until the morning dew made beans tough.Corn is a little different, depending upon humidity, but it is not as sensitive as beans for moisture. Start too early, with wet leaves, and you just get too many kernals carrying over the screens due to wet leaves and cornsilks. I have had cornsilks completly close off my chaffers when it was too wet, with all corn going out the back, but not too long before I noticed it and shut down. Usually we could count on picking corn around 8:00 AM during normal conditions, and shell pretty late in the evening. Whatever we did, we tried to run as soon and as long as possible when the fields were wet enough to support us and the temperature was comfortable. I believe you can accomplish as much in one day of harvest during normal conditions as you can accomplish in three or more days harvesting in mud and extreme cold. I tried to take advantage of every good hour of every good day, and not hit it as hard during difficult conditions unless the crop was going down or the weather was breaking up.There is no "Normal" in farming, it seems--there just seems to be good days or bad days--or at least it seemed that way to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)