AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1480 and flax
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 9/28/2010 23:19 (#1377812 - in reply to #1377774)
Subject: RE: 1480 and flax

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
School Of Hard Knock - 9/29/2010 22:02

1480 users that grow flax....
What sort of rpms do you run on your standard fan and standard rotor. What concave space settings on concave to rotor??What is the secret to a clean sample without blowing it over.?I have a air foil chaffer and no other mods to the sieves or fan.Srtandard rotor and small wire concaves.Seems I dont like the chaffy looking sample.If I "up the wind" I have a lot of flax flaoting out on the ground behind the machine. If I close down the sieve I have return overload or very limited capacity..Advice?
Maybe this is a good place/crop to have a riple tin installed on the air foil chaffer?

Was doing flax this afternoon, sample is very clean. The combine has Harvest fixed air foil chaffer with the ripple tin on the front (ripple tin makes a huge difference in flax sample) and 5 rows of fins removed from the shoe sieve. ( removing those fins makes a big difference on how much flax is blown into the return) Paddle fan speed is 810 no load, 780 under load.
Rotor speed is 840-880 under load.

Try making a ripple tin out of cardboard box material, cut it as wide as the AF chaffer and about a foot long. Attach it at four corners and center of the cardboard with wire. You will be amazed how long a chunk of brown corrigated cardboard will last in that application, and bet you will see a huge reduction of chaffy material in the grain tank.

You may have to reduce your fan speed a bit after installing the cardboard ripple tin, as it increases the air velocity on the remaining exposed chaffer surface.
Being able to reduce fan speed will also reduce the flax blown into the return with an unmodified shoe sieve.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)