AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting Article on Smartstax performance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

isuagstud
Posted 9/25/2010 14:47 (#1373777 - in reply to #1373753)
Subject: RE: Tell me why

Colo, IA
pilgrim - 9/25/2010 14:10

"I shouldn't have to remind you that it isn't the traits that make the yield but the germ plasm. The traits are there simply to protect the yield available in any given year.Your logic is flawed on many levels, if we are looking for yield we should go backwards and use fewer traits to create more yield?"

Have you heard of cost/benefit ratios?  How does the added cost of adding the Rup trait in corn at a cost to the farmer of around $50 per bag benefit/protect the farmer.  Dekalb does not offer hibreds in my maturities without the Rup trait, so my option is to drop DeKalb corn.

"One more thing I saw where you said a great way to increase profits and pay shareholders? The answer is no, not really."

When were you born?

An example. 61-72 (RR only) costs $51 per bag more than 61-70 (conventional). Let's assume the customer receives a 15% discount (cash and volume). That means the RR trait cost them $43.35 per bag ($51 x .85) or $16.67 per acre (assuming 2.6 acres per bag). If the cost of roundup is roughly $2.50 per acre and you spray twice, that means your herbicide program cost $21.67 per acre (16.67 + 2.50 + 2.50). What does a conventional two pass program cost for herbicide? I would guess not many conventional programs are much less than that. This is what the benefit to the farmer is. As far as protection to the farmer, name a safer chemical to use on your crop than roundup when it comes to crop safety?

With that said, I plan to plant some 61-70 this year to get a different mode of action on some of my acres. I have been using Harness followed by roundup on my corn and two passes of roundup on my beans and am finding some hard to kill weeds. I plant to use a pre-emerge product on my beans and use some conventional corn and try to mix up my chemical use this year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)