AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

90 degree auger gearbox adapter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 9/9/2010 22:15 (#1353397 - in reply to #1353178)
Subject: Re: 90 degree auger gearbox adapter?

Chebanse, IL.....

Robert

I'm not quite sure what you're visualizing, but we had the 90 degree drive kit on a 10x70 Westfield. I'd estimate it takes about 30 minutes to install the 1st time, probably less the next time around.

First  you remove your pto shaft from the input shaft (lower shaft) on the auger. You have to pull (or drive?) a pin & a key. Then, slip on 1/2 of the kit supplied sprocket coupler. Then dump the factory oil out of the gearbox & replace w/synthetic. Then mount the 90 degree gearbox on the auger hitch (square tube). I believe it mounts w/4x 1/2" bolts. Spend a couple of minutes lining up the sprockets. We used a feeler gauge to help assure alignment. Then slip the double chain on mating the 2 drive sprockets.  Then, mount the REAL LONG pto shaft (supplied) w/a pin. Then put the supplied parking stand under the auger hitch (remember, auger will now always be free-standing, not on drawbar any longer). Hook up your tractor & unload.

HOWEVER-we've shucked out 2 gearboxes. I think they're underbuilt. Westfield does not think so. We had the bearings go out once, and broke the shaft connected to the pto once. This was all while connected to a 1961 JD 4010. Certainly not overpowered. Shear bolt never broke...just the gearbox. Besides replacing the gearbox annually (about $700, as I recall), it's also not so easy to move the auger. You have to hook & unhook the auger to move it. I believe the folks that build the "blue" augers assured me they were aware of the Westfield gear boxes & theirs was substantially heavier. I don't know though. Westfield uses the same gearbox for their electric motor drive augers. I'm not sure how much electric motor it would take to run a 10x71 full of wet corn.

Anyway, we gave up on it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)