AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where to tap into hyd to add chaff spreader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 8/24/2010 18:19 (#1330461 - in reply to #1330315)
Subject: Re: Where to tap into hyd to add chaff spreader

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I would strongly advise against tapping the reel for a chaff spreader.  I had a CIH 1680 with a chaff spreader tapped into the reel hydraulics.  The reel is adjustable with a speed control in the cab, and I knew that the chaff spreader would also change speed if I adjusted the reel speed.  I tried to watch carefully, but sometimes the chaff spreader could not keep up with spreading from heavy residue bean stubble.  I baled the chaffer area three times before I took the chaff spreader off and later sold it.  It took about a half day to dig out the area of the 1680 above the adjustable grain screens, not a pretty job. 

Later I noticed CIH combines with the hydraulic lines coming from the pump, on the sides, with a flow divider to adjust the chaffer screens.  That looked like a better option to me.

Funny, several others ran their chaff spreaders from the reel, didn't seem to have a problem.  Don't know if I was just a poor combine operator, or they were lucky.  Perhaps I tried too hard to match the speed of the reel to the combine speed and height of the beans.  All I knew is if I adjusted the speed of the reel properly, I knocked out fewer beans with the reel, and everyone knows that is not good.

Perhaps Massey combines have different reel controls and getting chaff spreader power from there would work fine.  If I used the automatic reel speed I had available on my 1680, it was a real disaster, as the reel did not move very fast until you speeded up the combine, making the chaff spreader go slower, and the problems were worse.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)