AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ok, now that I've bought it, I need ideas,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/24/2010 09:45 (#1329953 - in reply to #1329109)
Subject: RE: Starting the machine with the GPS on

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
joe - 8/23/2010 19:51

I never gave that a thought Ed. If wired direct it is not truely powered up yet while cranking the starter? Or is that asking for T2 trouble as well? Thank you much for the idea and the link!

Yes, if it were wired directly to the battery it would be truely powered up but the load from the starter may cause a voltage drop across the battery anyway. This will vary from vehicle to vehicle.

For example the old 30 series Deere tractors (4430 etc.) had a large voltage drop when they were started which often caused the old Raven spray controllers to drop their settings. This was why Raven came out with the 9 volt battery compartment in the back for a time. The 9 volt battery kept the memory alive while the rig was being started.

Ed's idea is basically the same in that the new battery handles the load during those potential periods of low voltage. I use a garden tractor battery to accomplish the same thing. The Steering is wired to the new battery and the new battery is charged by the vehicle. A diode is inserted inline to prevent the vehicle from drawing the new battery down.

Edited by tedbear 8/24/2010 09:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)