AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RR Alfalfa moving along, maybe?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 8/17/2010 16:59 (#1319614 - in reply to #1319332)
Subject: If Bad Biology comes into play, all bets are off.

Little River, TX
How is the way alfalfa pollinates any different than for cotton? From Corn also?

First off Dairy quality alfalfa will seldom go to bloom let alone set seed.

Second off with commercially produced seed it is against the law to save seed. As rapidly as alfalfa varieties are changing if you do save seed by the time you have it in the sack it will be obsolete. Might as well to planting Ranger Alfalfa.

Where seed alfalfa is grown there are strict isolation rules to prevent cross pollination.

Here, in the Good Old Days, we would combine a summer seed crop to supplement our April, May & June plus October hay crop. The worse our summer drought the better the seed crop.

Corn pollen can drift for miles and miles, and every corn field I have seen harvested for grain will have volunteer seedling corn, that fall and possibly again the next spring.

I will grant you there is a strident and phobia laden cadre of anti GMO enthusiasts, fired on by vested interest. Not much different than the French Farmers who rioted to protest hybrid corn a hundred years ago. I was fully grown before hybrid corn gained a foothold in Central Texas.

Probably the idea to follow the money is not a bad idea.

This world is full of bad biology and we will suffer from too many Judges ruling on Bad Biology pushed by idiots with an agenda.

I personally will be a later rather than sooner, to jump on the RR Alfalfa Bandwagon, simply because the varieties I have seen do not have as good pest resistance as the current varieties.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)