AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Posted 8/14/2010 09:33 (#1314914 - in reply to #1314899)
Subject: RE: 10% + 20% = 30%

jff2009 - 8/14/2010 08:19

You will be planting 30% of your corn that will not have root worm protection, that is a fact. And to boot the OAM bags are going to come at a damn high premium price, I believe someone earlier posted in the 300 range before discounts. I am not a big fan of smart stax but I can get a bag of smart stax bought for less than 200 plus cash discounts and only have 5% refuge. Seems like a no brainer in that scenario. The 1/2 mile range is also correct, but the down side to all of this is on top of what I already stated is if you like blocking off your refuge, you can't do it through all 30%. Now you have to spray the whole damn field to rescue the 10% if there is a nasty infestation you want to take care of. If you choose not to spray it and the rootworms are grown past the 3rd n-star, correct me if I am wrong, then you run the risk of not killing the boogers all together because not even the rootworm trait will get them then. What I am saying there is if they have fed off the refuge corn until the certain growth stage it doesn't matter, all they have to do is walk to the next plant which will more than likely be a rootworm plant and start feeding there, thus starting to build a tolerance to the rootworm gene effectively reducing the effectiveness of the gene over time. Long winded explanation I know but something folks need to get educated on.

First of all the prices posted here would be inline with other list prices from last year for Herculex Xtra. With discounts you can buy Pioneer around this area for $10-15 less per bag than VT3 from any company. With Zone pricing you may buy Smartstax for under $200 but you would be living in a dream world to buy it for that in Illinois. I can guarantee you Herculex Extra would be similar priced.

Secondly the testing done before the EPA approval tested 18 generations of Rootworm Beatles feeding on the Herculex protein and there was NO resistance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)