AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere 14T baler
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 8/12/2010 23:26 (#1313020)
Subject: Deere 14T baler

West Central Iowa
My grandfather had a deere 14T baler that I inherited that actually works quite well. While getting things ready to go I noticed something peculiar beside the plunger crank on the inside of the crank gearbox. Apparently there is a needle bearing on the flywheel shaft on the opposite end of the flywheel (that ends next to the crank). An expansion plug is used to seal off the needle bearing.

Upon talking to the JD mechanic, we believe the expansion plug is gone and the outer race of the needle bearing (with no needles left inside) is protruding from the gearbox casting about 1/2"....almost to the point that it rubs on the crank each time it makes a revolution. JD parts says the bearing is obsolete, and therefore has no dimensions available. Before I tear into the project and realize it is impossible to find a replacement, I was curious if anyone else has ever run across this situation.

I baled one load of hay last year with the problem, and who knows how many times grandpa used it with the same problem. The shaft has little to no play, and the gerabox makes no scary noises when operating. I really want to fix it but don't want to open a big can of worms.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)