AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Houston we have a problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hayburner
Posted 8/8/2010 23:21 (#1307037 - in reply to #1306027)
Subject: Re: Houston we have a problem

I work with boards like this all the time. One time I replaced a board like this, and the backplane that it plugged into flexed enough to short some of the copper traces inside the board. The backplane was a 7 layer board, and there is no way to repair them if they short. It took over 9 hours of operation before it burned up. It melted enough that other boards had to be pried out with a big screw driver.

Water under any components would be a problem, or water inside those connectors. It doesn't dry out as quickly. You could try removing the board and setting it in a pan of rice, like a cell phone that gets wet, and see if it might draw the water out. $3200 would buy lots of rice. I see several relays on the board, lots of fuses and what looks like a couple circuit boards in the lower right just above the cap with the little chain on it. You might see if you can pull those circuit boards and blow out the connectors with low pressure air, then clean the circuit board traces with a pencil eraser. Moisture getting inside one of the relays would be a problem if they are not sealed well. Most of those relays look like they just plug into sockets. I would remove each one, one at a time and see if there is any water in the sockets.

If you take pictures of all the connections, it would help in getting it put back together. If you get the circuit board out, look carefully all over it for any signs of heat or corrosion (like on battery terminals) between two solder joints. Sometimes water on an electrified circuit board will cause that kind of corrosion build-up. Removing the corrosion would help using a pencil eraser.

Is it possible the D connector might have a loose pin or loose connector? That would cause it to heat if there was heavy current draw. Sometimes the pin socket inside the connector does not stay in place, and it pushes back inside the connector causing a loose connection between the socket and the pin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)