AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK, cell phones, and other questions.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dkastens
Posted 3/18/2007 16:34 (#121786 - in reply to #121772)
Subject: Thanks for the info Don

Rawlins County Kansas
Thanks Don for the in-depth view on both current and future RTK delivery systems. We are ok with SFII on the JD, but with each additional subscription total cost becomes a concern. I like the idea of cell phones for moving RTK signals around, but am hoping we can jump that technology and go straight to wifi, where possibly a local "hotspot" includes up to a 20 mile radius. I'm looking at doing this ourselves (providing wifi to each field), but the costs are still a little prohibitive.

My next concern will be how compatible (or how fast) all of the various gps manufacturers will be in bringing in an RTK correction other than through a 900 Mhz radio signal.

I'm surprised that we don't see 20 mile radius wifi hotspots yet out here in rural America. So many people are still stuck with high-priced, slow satellite connections or dial-up connections. Additionally, I believe that mobile wifi (in tractors, trucks, cars, etc) would generate enough subscriptions (internet, navigation, telephone, RTK, etc) to support developing "hotspots". The amps/repeaters/towers/security, etc are available but it seems that antenna (omnidirectional) technology is still a limiting factor. Possibly someone will come up with a directional setup (at the central location) and then the mobile equipment could have an antenna that "follows" or "tracks" the directional antenna in real-time.

Maybe I'm just being impatient. :)

Adios,

Diet
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)