AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK radio/repeater strength
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dkastens
Posted 3/17/2007 11:00 (#121189)
Subject: RTK radio/repeater strength

Rawlins County Kansas
I've been reading Don Glenn's posts on using CORS stations and cell phone links to convey RTK signals with great interest. However out here on the High Plains cell phone links are about as reliable and predictable as rainfall. We have a CORS station just 30 miles away, but I still have nightmares about using govt. provided signals (back from the Coast Guard days when their correction signal could be down weeks at a time) as well as concerned about cell phone connectivity across our farm.

On that note, RTK is tough for us because our farm is spread out to a point where multiple repeaters would probably be needed (no, we won't be moving a portable base station around due to a host of issues). I do have some questions that recently have been asked of me by another farmer in our area. Although we currently use John Deere autoguidance, I'm interested in hearing about all systems.

1. What is the practical distance (radius) that RTK radios can push signal? How about repeaters?

2. Would getting a radio or repeater on a 200' tower cover a bigger area or are the radios/repeaters limited in total power that they can broadcast?

I've heard a lot about 5-7 mile ranges for radios and repeaters, but these seem to be numbers when the radio/repeater is close to ground level as opposed to mounted on a decent sized tower.

Any experiences or comments on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dietrich
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)