AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody using the new Outback RTK?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

hwdcne
Posted 3/13/2007 22:08 (#119422 - in reply to #119109)
Subject: Re: Anybody using the new Outback RTK?

Soutwest Ks.
tmrand: I have ran the Baseline HD some using it to do strip till work. I hate to comment just a whole lot because your experience may be different than mine. Without seeing your equipment, terrain and what you ultimately expect out of the product is kind of seeing the picture with one eye closed, however just a few comments on my experience. Basically very little to no drift and it appears the signal is robust and steady. I did experience times when I was very happy with the over all accuracy of the unit and the next day seemed like the pass to pass accuracy would be less consistent. Wasn't able to put a finger on the cause, it may have been implement shift as I was pulling the strip till rig behind an air cart. Very simple to run and understand, however it is simple primarily because it lacks some features that some other units have. Cannot store AB lines, so no true repeatability. To plant on the strips I will need to line up with a pass and again set AB points and start again, which is no major deal, but it will take some attention to detail or frustration will ensue. Operation is smooth and overall function is fairly good. Quite frankly I believe this product is becoming dated with some of the new products hitting the market soon and they are going to have to come up with an integrated screen, (hint, hint, Outback) and a more sophisticated steering system to keep up. It is reasonably priced and I think it will work well for a certain market niche, but if you are expecting higher end sophistication that some of the expensive RTK systems have, you may be less than satisfied. I don't want to diss the company at all as I do have respect for what they have done and wish them the best but I do want to be honest with you. They appear to be a service oriented company which means much to me. I'm also hoping that soon they will release more features including terrain compensation and ability to store AB lines.
That will help alot. I really would like to hear other users report as it seems as tho I'm about the only one willing to give much info about it. I know others have used it and are using it, please speak up! :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)