AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drill millet with a grain drill anybody?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Funacres
Posted 7/2/2010 23:37 (#1258690 - in reply to #1258628)
Subject: Re: drill millet with a grain drill anybody?

Texas

ahay is correct.  The seed is very small and you don't want to plant nearly as much as you would for sorghum.  Pearl Millet will easily compensate for a thin stand.  I plant it at 3 lbs. to the acre and that requires a very low setting.  If you seed it too thick and it gets dry, it won't be as drought tolerant as you would like.  If you seed it too thin and you get rain, it will tiller and grow well.

I'm dryland farming and you have rain so you can plant 10 lbs and not get hurt.  From my experience though, you will not see a bigger return on your seed costs like with other crops.  The great thing about Pearl Millet is that it's very forgiving if you have rain.  If you are afraid not to seed it "thick", try a strip or two at 3 lbs to the acre and report back at harvest time.  You will be suprised at how well it will do for you. 

Pearl Millet makes me think about something my Dad told me when I was a kid.  He sent me into the local garden store to buy some garden seed.  After listing the crops he wanted to plant in the garden, he said when you get to the zuchinni, "just work one seed out of the packet and put it back.  One seed is all we will need to plant!"  He was kidding about the one seed, but he wasn't kidding by much.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)