AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versatile 936 transmission vibrates/growls with metal in oil?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 6/11/2010 22:15 (#1233546 - in reply to #1233514)
Subject: Some history.

Mid-Missouri

Thanks for the replies. I haven't drained any oil but simply pulling the dipstick shows metal throughout the oil level on the stick. I guess I would call that flakes but unsure what is in the bottom.

A little history about it. Bought new, has maybe 6k hours now. About a year ago/ a few hundred hours ago, I found missing bolts and several loose bolts remaining on a transmission cover/plate located between the engine drive shaft and the front axle driveshaft. This round plate looked like it holds an internal bearing which supports a shaft, maybe what you would call an intermediate shaft. I tighened it up and all seemed well till now. The transmission never shifted as smooth as our other older versatiles, but this may have been more of a clutch issue. It has had a clutch once if I recall correctly. It never pops out of gear, but maybe twice in twenty some years I have had it lock between two gears, to where it would pull the motor down and not move. I would guess half of its life, this transmission seaped oil out of the driveshaft seals, specifically the back, because that one is the most accessible and obvious. The cab mounts seem okay to me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)