AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Overall condition of crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IALTO
Posted 6/10/2010 11:01 (#1231609)
Subject: Overall condition of crop

WC MN
Just wondering how the crop is looking across the nation. Many ANALysts believe we are headed for tremendous yields again. So how do we compare to last year? Here, in SE ND and WC MN, we are better off than last year. We did not have the huge yields here last year though. On Monday, I saw 5 combines in seperate fields harvesting 09' corn yet. Still an occasional field standing. We had early plantings but then 3 weeks of wet and cold and many fields either have poor stands or drown out spots. We have potential for a good crop in corn and beans are coming along very well. Too many spots in corn to have a bumper crop in my opinion.

How about the rest of the nation. I know last year Nebrsaka, Western Iowa, Eastern South Dakota, Eastern Kansas, and lots of Missouri all had good going (hope I didn't leave anyone out). Where are the spots that look excellent this year? I also think with the ample moisture and cool summer last year, that many dryland areas that usually lack moisture had a tremendous crop. Is that happening again this year? Obviosly it is too early in most areas for heat to have a major impact so that has yet to play out.

From what I have heard, there have been areas of tough going. Missouri and southern IA looks like they have been getting too much rain and that looks to extend into Illinois. Also, Ohio and Indiana have had issues. Tennessee and Kentuckey had the major flooding and had many acres replanted and not sure how that has turned out.

So with it being June 10, just like to see where people stand. I think comparing it to last years records yeild makes sense seeing as though another record is forecast. Looking at usda ratings, crop looks like it could be a record. But when you think about it, what does good to excellent corn entail on June7th? If its up and green is it excellent? When you break down the ratings in each state, about 50% +/- is good with excellent being 15% to 25% and the same amount rated poor. My guess is that rating has way more downside than upside potential.

Sorry for rambling, but just would like to hear where people see the crop in their areas. Also, if you plug in any type of reduced yield in the balance sheet the numbers getting interesting, especially in regards to soybeans. Sorry for leaving wheat out but we don't grow any and most of that crop is close to being made in many areas. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)