AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Subsities?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Traveling Man
Posted 6/11/2010 02:50 (#1232683 - in reply to #1231506)
Subject: Re: Subsities?

Finland, up there in north where noboby farms!
Sounds like what I feel about subsidies too. It get's harder to keep money on farmers pocket: machinery dealers and landlords are the first ones after you and then crop buyers know that grain is "residue" form subsidies and prices will sink.
When I realized situation, I started to think how I could do better? Wanted to lower cost, because it is almoust impossible make more money. Farms are small here, so capital cost is always big. Optimized subsidies having the "right crops", sold all tillage tools and went to the no-till + share drill whit another farmer. Still have same crops sales or even little more since canola has turned of the nightmare to a good crop on these heavy clay soils. Better rotation saves some chemicalls and gives good boosts to the crops. Jumping in to the no-till was scary and I wouldn't ever do it whit out subsidies---too risky. So....you can live whit the system, but you gotta think different. Total lost of 15 % of corps is less that payment from no-till program. I'll probably make less money than earlier ( or I'm not really sure), I also work less whit lover economical risk. No reason to think what is better system, this is what we got. Right now when I'm tuned for this system I wouldn't be sure if I wanna jump back. Someday I may need to, when EU runs out of the money...

Anybody cares to tell anything about American subsidies? I bet we on this side of the pool would like to hear little bit of those...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)